So in the previous post I showed how I made all that t-shirt yarn. And here is what I made with it:
Ta-da! I mean, the rug, not the cat.
So, some things about the project, positive and negative. First of all, it was quite fast - it took a Sunday afternoon to complete, by which I mean I spent Sunday afternoon reading blogs and occasionally looking down to do a stitch or two, and suddenly it was done.
Another positive thing: it is Sturdy with a capital S. I'm thinking of making another to be a foot-wiper at the front door, because it seems incredibly durable (although I guess time will tell).
Two things that were, well, not exactly negative but a bit of a surprise for me. First, how heavy heavy the whole thing was! If you were to make a blanket like this, it would be very, very heavy - uncomfortably so, I would think.
Secondly, I had no idea how much t-shirt yarn it would take to make a single little foot rug! You can see in the picture how there are 11 different colors... that's 11 different shirts right there, to make a rug which is 17" by 25". I did the math, and if I wanted to make a smallish afghan (45" by 60") I would need 70 t-shirts!!
So this was a one-off project, it seems. Anyway, it was fun to try and now I have a little mat to keep my feet warm in the bathroom: